In Ontario, if you were married in a country other than Canada, you can apply to have your foreign divorce recognized in Ontario. To do this, you or your family law lawyer will need to file an application with the Ontario Court of Justice.

To apply for recognition of a foreign divorce in Ontario, you will need to:

  1. Gather all relevant documents, including your divorce decree, marriage certificate, and any other documents related to the divorce.
  2. File an application for recognition of a foreign divorce in Ontario. This can be done through the court’s online filing system or by contacting the court in person.
  3. Attend a court hearing, if required. The court may require you to attend a hearing to determine whether the foreign divorce should be recognized in Ontario.
  4. Wait for a decision from the court. Once the court has reviewed your application and any supporting documents, it will issue a decision on whether to recognize the foreign divorce in Ontario.

It’s important to note that the process for recognizing a foreign divorce in Ontario can be complex, and it may be helpful to seek the advice of a family law lawyer to ensure that your application is properly completed and filed.